How to Share Content Between Worlds

Introduction

To share content between worlds (actors, journal entries, scenes, and more), you will need to create a compendium, and copy that content into a compendium.

Unfortunately, when you create a compendium in Foundry VTT, the software by default creates a world-level compendium. This means that the compendium is only accessible within the world it was created in.

This is where we come in. The Forge provides an easy solution to creating your own compendium modules. Our Shared Compendium creation tool allows you to create as many compendium modules as you can fit on our service, via a very simple user interface.

Creating a Shared Compendium

To access our Shared Compendium tool, navigate to your My Foundry page. From there, select the teal button under the Table Tools category labelled “Create Shared Compendium”.

You will be shown the following popup menu:

Here, you can customize the name of your compendium module, and add a description. Please keep in mind that although you are free to choose whatever name you want for your compendium module, you will be unable to create one with the same name as a pre-existing compendium module.

You can also select the blue text at the bottom, “Customize Compendium Content” to display more options for customizing your compendium module.

You will be shown a menu, displaying the default compendiums that will be created. You can add more compendiums by selecting “Create a new entry”, and filling in the compendium’s title, and selecting what kind of compendium you wish to create. You are also free to edit a compendium’s title, change their content type, or delete them. Please keep in mind that you will need a minimum of one compendium to complete the module creation process.

For this example, I have deleted half of the default compendiums, and edited the remaining ones to use names that are more useful to me.

Once you are done choosing and editing the compendiums you wish to create, select the green “Create Compendium” button. This will finalize your edits, and create the compendium. Please keep in mind that once this is done, you will no longer be able to edit the compendium through The Forge’s interface.

If the module is successfully created, you will see the following message on the top of your Forge screen:

Enabling a Shared Compendium Module

Once a shared compendium module is made, it can be enabled in-world!

To enable a shared compendium module in a world, take the following steps:

1. Stop and restart the server/game world in question.
  2. Login/enter the game world.
  3. Navigate to the “Game Settings” tab on the right sidebar.
  4. Select the “Manage Modules” button.
  5. Navigate to the shared compendium module, in the module listing here.
  6. Select the shared compendium module.
  7. Select the “Save Module Settings” button.
  8. The Foundry VTT game should refresh, and you should now have access to the Shared Compendium module in-game.

To access the compendiums from the module, navigate to the “Compendium Packs” tab on the right sidebar, and select any compendium pack that you wish to access.

If you wish to edit/add new entities to a compendium, right-click on the compendium and select “Toggle Edit Lock”. You will be shown a warning about editing a compendium that does not belong to the world. It is ok to proceed and select “Yes”- the module in question is controlled by you, and will not be overwritten by any updates.

Here’s a video showing how you can fill your compendiums with data and import it in your other worlds:

Exporting a Shared Compendium Module

As with most data on The Forge, you are able to export/move a shared compendium module off of our service. You can export a shared compendium module by taking the following steps:

1. Navigate to your My Foundry page.
  2. Under the left “Table Tools” column, select the grey “Export Compendium Modules” button.
  3. Navigate to your shared compendium module on this list, and select the module.
  4. Download the module. Whether you are exporting the module to backup your content, or using it in an external Foundry VTT instance, we recommend keeping it somewhere safe.

Please note that any assets (images, video, and audio) referenced will still reference URLs on The Forge. If you are exporting the shared compendium module for use outside of The Forge, we recommend using our Asset Sync feature to have the shared compendium module reference local images.

Deleting a Shared Compendium Module

As with any module you upload/install on The Forge, you are able to delete a shared compendium module. Please keep in mind that once a shared compendium module is deleted, it will be permanently gone/deleted.

We recommend exporting and backing up a shared compendium module, before deleting it from The Forge.

You can delete a shared compendium module by taking the following steps:

1. Navigate to your My Foundry page.
  2. Under the left “Table Tools” column, select the dark yellow “Select Data Files to Delete” button. You should see a popup menu.
  3. Navigate to the “Modules” tab in the popup menu.
  4. Navigate to and select the shared compendium module you wish to delete.
  5. You will be shown a delete prompt, asking you to confirm the deletion of the module. Make sure to verify you have selected the right module, and that you are ready to delete it for good.
  6. Enter the deletion code that the prompt asks you for. Select the red delete button. Once you have selected this button, you cannot go back and un-delete the module, unless you have made a backup.
  7. Upon deletion, you should see the following confirmation message at the top of your Forge window: image Your shared compendium module has been successfully deleted.
7 Likes

Does this not work across systems? Trying to move a scene from a Starfinder world to a DnD 5e world.

1 Like

Hello! Apologies for the late response.
Yes, they do work between systems, but I would imagine it wouldn’t convert the actors/items.
Scenes, journals, etc would work. :smiley:

Hi there,

Does this work for scenes?

I am thinking of having a main world, and share some aspect of it (scenes with tokens ready) to my different worlds (that are using the same system). Doing so I don’t have to prep for two, but just for one and import the scenes, actors, items, and notes.
Is this possible?

Hi,
Yes, this would work for scenes. Do note however that compendium support in Foundry is a little incomplete and tokens within a scene in a compendium will unfortunately always be unlinked since they’d refer to actors that aren’t in the new world where they are getting imported (as it refers to them by ID, not by name, and the ID is unique in each world).
I hope that helps.

I appreciate the feature and explanation. This will save me a lot of time exporting/importing content between my games

Hi, this is a super easy feature, is their a way to renamed compendium folders that are created that way ? because having 2-3 folder named “classe feature (shared)” can be a bit confusing.

You can export and edit the module. But there isn’t an easy/convenient way of doing it yet.

Thank’s, you mean exporting the compendium on my computer to rename it and then sent it back to the forge ?

Almost.
But yes, you would have to edit the files with an editor (like Notepad++), and edit the names and content labels inside of the module.

Thinking about it I should probably ready a Tutorial on this. ^^

1 Like

Hi!
If I wanted to create a compendium that I want shared with this module, how would I do so? You have Class Features (Shared) but not Classes (Shared) or even one I could use for Feats. How could I go about adding something that tracks with the module and not the world?

Heyo. I have this all setup and ready to go, but I want to transfer all of my dndbeyond monsters into the shared compendium. There’s 1228 of them. Please tell me there’s a way to import them in bulk. Is there?

I would recommend downloading the compendium module, then copy the contents of the Monster Compendium into the Shared compendium

Oooh. Good idea! Thanks.

:frowning: I couldn’t figure this out.

Made this today, for you ^^ :hear:
Hope it helps.

Wow. Thank you so much. You’re my hero for the week :slight_smile:

im Working on a Shared Compendium to send stuff to other worlds, but i can not find my shared compendium in the module list inside my world, i can see it on the forge (if i go to try to delete it)… Any idea why a shared compendium would not show up in the moduls inside the game. thanks

2 Likes

Also having the same issue stated by this user

So, did you restart the server after the compendium was made?

Compendiums/modules won’t show up till it has been stopped and started properly.

@kronic-conman