How to share content between worlds

In order to share content (actors, journal entries, scenes) between your worlds, you will need to create a Compendium and move those entities into the compendiums.

Unfortunately, in Foundry, when you create a Compendium from its interface, it creates only a “world level” compendium that isn’t accessible from other worlds.
The Forge provides an easy solution for that however. Head over to your My Table page and click on the “Create Shared Compendium” button :

You will then be prompted to give a name to your shared compendium module :

Once you give it a name (be careful not to give the name of an existing shared compendium or it would get overwritten), the new module will appear in your Foundry’s module list. For example, I’ve named mine : “All my data”

Within your Foundry VTT worlds, you can now go to the Settings tab and select “Manage Modules” :

Then enable your Shared Compendium module and save the module settings :

You will then see your shared compendiums in the compendiums tab of Foundry VTT:

Right click on the compendium you want to edit and select “Toggle Edit Lock” in order to unlock it so you can add new content to it.

By default, all module compendiums are locked by Foundry because if you add content to a module’s compendium then that module gets updated, its compendium will be updated as well and all your changes will be lost. In this case, the Forge VTT Shared Compendium is unique and cannot be updated, so it is safe to unlock it and store your content on it.

Confirm that you do want to unlock the compendium, and you’re done!

At this point, you can drag & drop any entity (actor, journal entry, scene, playlist, etc…) you want into your compendium, and if you enable the shared compendium module in your other worlds, those entities will be available to you to drag & drop back into your other worlds.

Here’s a little video showing how you can fill your compendiums with data and import it in your other worlds :

3 Likes