How to upload a modified version of a module/system

Modified modules and systems

There are a lot of Foundry VTT modules, custom worlds, and systems. These are collectively referred to as “Foundry VTT packages”.

Packages available for free on the Foundry VTT package listing are installed through The Bazaar on The Forge. This means that module storage is (mostly) free, and increases the amount of available storage available to the user. However, this only applies to officially released versions of Foundry VTT packages.

Sometimes, users will want to install modified Foundry VTT packages. This is most common for edits to a publicly-available system or module. By default, when uploading this content The Bazaar will install the official version of the module, over the custom version. We explain how to uploaded modified modules or systems so that they retain their changes below.

Uploading modified packages

When you seek to upload a modified package to your Forge account, or simply wish to install content without installing it through The Bazaar, you can do so via the following:

1. Go to the Games Configuration page and click “Summon Import Wizard” in the “Table Tools” section.

2. This will open the Import Wizard.

3. From here, you can turn off the “Install found packages from the Bazaar” toggle.

4. Browse for the package or packages you would like to import. You can choose to upload a Local Folder or ZIP file.

5. Click Analyze to proceed with the Import Wizard process.

Note: The imported package will replace any currently installed version of the same package on your Forge account, if it exists.

If you have customized an existing package, you can find your custom package on the Bazaar and lock it to prevent it from prompting you to update it if a new version of the original package becomes available.

For more information, please see the “advanced” section below or contact Forge support.

Advanced

To upload a modified version of a package, you will need to make changes to the package files on your local machine.

If you will be replacing an existing module on your Forge account, we recommend making a backup of the original package, before you delete or replace the existing version.

Download a local copy of the package to edit.

First, you need a copy of the package. Download the module or system zip, or if it is on your Forge account at the moment, you can export it from your Games Configuration page.

Optional: You can also delete the existing package. To do this, click View Data Storage on your Games Configuration page My Foundry. You can also delete the package from the Foundry setup screen if your Game Manager is disabled.

Edit your local copy of the package.

Now, edit the package on your local machine.

This may involve adding files to the package, or making edits to the module.json, system.json, or world.json file using a text editor, such as Notepad++ or notepad. You’ll usually find the module.json, system.json, or world.json file inside the package’s folder. image

You may also want to update the package’s version and id inside of the .json file, especially if you want to install it alongside the un-edited package. Package ids are unique, and each unique id is treated as a unique package.

To edit the version or id of the package, add -custom at the end, since this is a custom version of that package. We recommend you edit it to something recognizable - “Custom (module name) V(module Version)”. Take care to stick to the .json file’s existing formatting.

The .json file is in JSON format, which must be valid for Foundry to be able to recognize it. There are various JSON validators online which alert you to syntax errors, and you can test your .json file contents there to ensure that it is valid JSON.

Once done, save your edits, and test it within a local Foundry installation. If it is not working, you may have accidentally broken the .json file. .

Now you can use the Import Wizard to upload your modified module, system, or world. You can also find this over at the Games Configuration page.

Once imported, Stop and Start your Foundry server from the Games Configuration page so that Foundry can recognize the new package, and it can now be used in your worlds.

To enable a module in-game, select it via the “Manage Modules” module configuration menu under the settings sidebar.

To use a custom system for a world, the custom system must be selected when creating the world, however if you do not change the system.json id field when customizing the system, you will be able to replace an existing system, in which case the custom system with that same id will be used instead.

If you did not change the package id, you can find your custom package on the Bazaar and lock it to prevent it from prompting you to update it if a new version of the original package becomes available.

@bryn88 here’s the answer to your question ^^

Omg I swear I searched around for this and found nothing /blush. Thank you kind sir

haha, see when it was originally posted. I asked Kevin to write this tutorial after I got your message (which you should have posted publicly) :stuck_out_tongue:

I am using custom sounds for a module “dice so nice”. I did this once and everything worked, now i cannot upload new custom sounds – it still keeps the old ones no matter what I do.

These are custom mp3’s that are renamed to the default names “epic_win” and “epic_fail”

I have deleted the module from foundry via the Delete Data Files and from within foundry setup, then tried this upload (with the ‘Do not install from Bazaar’ box checked, and it still plays the old sounds.

It is odd bc it is not playing the default sounds that come with the official mod, it is still playing my old custom files rather than the new ones I’d like to use now.

Is there a way to directly access the module’s folders as if the install was on a local computer? Or a way to completely delete the module – it also still remembers my preferences after deleting and reinstalling the mod so something is being left over even after removing it.

Hello Cnaggy. I’m wondering if it placed your old custom mp3s in your assets library. You can try checking for it in the modules folder within the Assets Library specifically- I believe the import wizard often sticks assets from custom modules in your Assets library.

I was looking to add some full cities created by the Borough Bound group. One module zip file is 251MB and the other is 618MB. I know that you have a 250MB cap and can pay for a higher tier. Is there a way to get the larger module into my games? Also, is there a one time size increase that I can do rather than revising my whole subscription for one module upload?

A post was split to a new topic: Custom package upload not working