Copy data from local Foundry to Forge

I want to upload some custom compendia that I created in my local Foundry world to my Forge world. (I generally want to do prep work on my own computer and upload to Forge before each session.) How can I best accomplish this? Would it be best to upload the whole world and, if so, how? If not, how can I upload just the compendia I want, since there seems to be no way to export them from Foundry?

So there is a bunch of ways to do this, but we do recommend prepping on Forge. If you would elaborate why you wouldn’t want to have it all online that might help us solve a separate issue :smiley:

Anyhow.

Compendiums

If you’re just looking into Compendiums (by my understanding what you’re looking for?) I would export a compendium module. To create such a shared compendium module, you can follow this tutorial.
Then export the compendium by going to My Foundry -> Export Compendium Modules under the “Table Tools”.

Then import it locally, enable the module locally, then upload the module to the Forge before every session. If you’re unsure about how to import it locally again, try this tutorial and jump down to the “locally” section.

Important: Before every upload of this module, you would have to delete the old one. This can not be done while a game is active, so make sure to stop your server before deletion.

Worlds

You could upload your world every time.

There is 2 ways to do this:

1. Exporting

Why would you export? Because your players might have made progress on a map, and creatures might have died, it seems tedious to update the local game every time they have done something on the forge.

To do this you would have to “Export world” from the Forge.
Head over to My Foundry -> Export Worlds under the Tools section.
Export the world you want. You can follow this tutorial on how to export and what to do locally.

Before you upload or do any of these steps, we would recommend you to “export a backup”.
This is to reassure that if a new world has problems, you at least have the back-up from last session.

Now that you’re ready to upload your world, you have to delete the old one (after backup)
You can do so by going to My Foundry -> Select Data Content to delete under the table tools menu. Delete the old world. Then you can upload the new one:

When you’re going to upload it again, you would use the Import Wizard to import the world. Assets do not stack, so don’t worry about quota in this area, if an asset is used already, it will only pick up the new assets.

2. Whole world

Whole worlds are only a problem because you would have to update your local world with the new player situation, like tokens on the maps, monsters and all of the “during session” means. But here is how to do it:

Make a backup of your old world. You can do so by Exporting your old world.

Now you would need to delete the old world. You can do so by going to My Foundry -> Select Data Content to delete under the table tools menu. Delete the old world.

After this, you can use the Import Wizard to import the world. Assets do not stack, so don’t worry about quota in this area, if an asset is used already, it will only pick up the new assets.

If I can help with anything else or further explain something, we’ll be around ^^ Hope this helps you out.

1 Like