World Size Check

You can check that by going to “Select data content to delete” and modules.

If you want to check how much is in a compendium of a world, export it as shown, and look at the “packs” folder.

Ok thanks.
So as I understand it then, none of the .db content in the data folder is in compendiums? i.e. all that you see there is data that is loaded upon entering the game?

Yes, I do believe so.

That is correct, yes. Data folder for a world is the “world db files”, the “Packs” folder contains compendium db files.

HELLO!! Yesterday during our session the whole game froze making me reboot my PC it has happened twice in a row. So i was sent here for help. I read the above and now i have deleted the chat logs, moved all no needed scenes and journals and items and players into compendiums but I still show massive scene and fog size files… i assume the fog is the fog of war but what happens if I delete it?

world size

If you delete fog.db, ALL Fog of War exploration for all users will be gone, and a new “unexplored” fog.db will be created.

I wouldn’t recommend doing that overall. Your world size is pretty nice and slim overall now.

If you still have slowness, I’ll recommend checking this FAQ to try and weed out troublesome Modules: Trouble with Modules

will deleting the fog cover up the areas my players have already explored? replacing it with a new fog for them to reexplore?

I have a world size currently of 76 MB. Can someone review the below and tell me if there are other ways I can improve performance? I moved 90% actors, scenes, etec to compendiums and after exporting the world it breaks out as follows:

[Data - 24.8MB] [Packs - 48.9 MB] [Scenes: 2.79MB]

Data folder is broken out as follows:

Actors: 5.4MB
Chat: 0.7MB
Combat: 0.02MB
Fog: 7.4MB
Folders: 0.21MB
Items: 0.81MB
Journal: 4.7MB
Macros: 0.6MB
Playlists: 0.07MB
Scenes: 3.5MB
Sessions: 0.0MB
Settings: 0.3MB
Tables: 1.7MB
Users: 0.14MB

At that point, your World Size is quite good. I’d look into this now: Trouble with Modules

My actors has a lot of lines which read:
“{”$$deleted":true,"_id":“3LPZyejhrFuNvVGe”}"
(Obviously with different IDs)

Do I need all the deleted lines?

How do you deal with the issue that anytime you move an actor from your compendium to a scene, it creates a new actor in the local actors folders? Seems to me that you’d just continually have the same problem over and over again. This would be a case of fixing the symptoms, and not curing the problem.

FoundryVTT just hasn’t done garbage collection on those yet, they should be cleaned up with a Stop/Start of your server on Forge

Don’t move an Actor From Compendium → Scene, move an Actor from Compendium to Actors tab, then place them on the scenes from there.

1 Like

Wouldn’t this still cause the same issue? The actors db would grow as you move actors to it, causing the actors.db bloat, in turn causing loading issues. How do you work around that?

It will add to the size, certainly, but it wouldn’t have 1 actor entry for every scene, you would have 1 Actor for the world, used in however many scenes. Not at all an issue in that case, unless you import obscene numbers of actors.

To be clear on this, you’re talking about the import function from the compendium to import the actor to the local actors section, correct?

my actors data in the export world folder in 24945kb almost 25mb is that normal?
i exported the files and opened it in notepad but its just a long scribble of texts i dont find any repititions.
can i just delete it and import wizard it back?

You’ll have no NPCs/Player Characters in your world if you do that, but yes.

@aeristoka Thank you for this very helpful advice. I’m just flagging that I have tried to follow it today and haven’t been able to as the downloaded world’s “data” folder has quite a different structure (no individual .db files for actors, etc., but folders with multiple files instead). I suspect this is due to Forge’s update to Foundry v11.

Hey there @mighty_chebo

You are correct, I will make a note to update this documentation for v11.

v11 significantly changes the way that databases work in Foundry, no longer using NeDB .db files but rather LevelDB folders which contain the database.

On Windows, explorer does not show folder sizes because it can be slow, so unfortunately you would need to r-click → properties to check each individual folder. Optionally, I also like to use a tool called WinDirStat, pictured here:

Much of the same logic applies as with before v11:
World compendiums (/packs folder) and the fog database still aren’t loaded on the first world loading step, and if you experience slow loading, you may want to archive some of your unused actors, scenes or items to a shared compendium.

However, database corruption and the long repeats that could sometimes happen in NeDB should no longer be a problem in v11, so there should be no need to unpack the databases to read/fix the data inside.

Note:
For developers and content creators who have a reason to want to edit the DB files directly, I recommend looking into GitHub - foundryvtt/foundryvtt-cli: The official Foundry VTT CLI which allows the unpacking to JSON and re-packing to LevelDB :slight_smile:

1 Like