Joining a game as a player on The Forge is almost the same as joining a self-hosted game. Just make a free Forge account, and accept an invitation URL. You will now be able to join the game whenever you want- and even have it accessible via a convenient menu on forge-vtt.com.
In some cases, you’ll even be able to skip the login screen for the game. For DMs/hosting accounts with the User Manager feature enabled, you’ll be able to join a game instantly- no world login needed!
Hosting and accessing Foundry VTT via the Forge is very similar to accessing it via your local application. Foundry VTT’s backbone is chromium- effectively, a modified browser! Therefore, accessing Foundry VTT through a browser makes no difference at all.
The Forge adds several quality of life features on top of self-hosting.
- We offer integration with The Bazaar, allowing you to install free modules, pre-made worlds, systems, and even asset packages at no cost to your storage limits. Installation of Bazaar packages are also nearly instant, only requiring the account owner to restart the server/world.
- Only the account owner can access the Foundry VTT setup menu, increasing security to your game data.
- All non-game data files (assets, module assets, and related content) are distributed via our CDN, allowing you and your players to load into game quickly and easily, regardless of location.
- And at the Story Teller level and above, our Game and User Manager features!
- The Forge does not support S3 bucket integration with the file browser.
- The Forge does not support DNS A or CNAME for hosting instances.
- The Forge has file size upload limits to the service, based on the level of your account. This is due to the increased difficulty in distributing larger files within our system. This does not apply to modules, systems, or pre-made worlds.
- We do not support port remapping for a hosted instance.