Nick Midwest's Guide to the Mods He's Currently Using

I’ve gotten some questions about what Mods I use on the discord, so I thought I’d make a quick post summarizing what I use and why here on the forums. It’s a lot. I feel like my Foundry is more Mod than Core at this point.

• Mini map Provides an overview of the entire scene and the ability to move around quickly
  • Chat Portrait Adds coloring and portraits to chat message
  • Actually Private Rolls Obsfucates private DM rolls from players
  • Cursor Hider I don’t want players seeing where I’m moving my tokens, so I hide my pointer; I put it on GM only
  • Dice So Nice! So my players can feel like they’re actually rolling dice
  • Fantasy UI Gives Foundry a fancy coat of paint
  • FX Master Used the stars weather pattern to simulate “dungeon dust”; I’ve also used colored versions of the rain, fog, clouds, and embers to great effect in my Avernus campaign
  • Health Estimate Players can tell at a glance which guy they’ve already done damage to so I don’t have to waste time telling them
  • Deselection Allows me to deselect tokens without drag+clicking
  • Beyond20 module with extension Integrates beyond20 rolls into the foundry for the one person who refuses to install it
  • Combat Utility Belt Various combat utilities; I use it mostly for conditions and concentration checks; I’ve added in some custom conditions like Enraged, (Bardically) Inspired, and Advantage/Disadvantage using icons from beyond20 or game-icons.net
  • Combat Ready Puts a timer on my players so they don’t take 8 minutes on their turn
  • Dice Tray For random rolls and my players who can’t parse the /roll commands
  • Follow Me So the players can designate one person to be on point and then follow nicely behind in marching order without getting lost
  • Foundry Token Patroller Allows me to set up some cool random encounters; this map had some patrolling scrying eyes that creeped out my players
  • The Furnace is a module. Just kidding, I use the token vision all the time and the journal split has saved me a lot of time on my r20 imports
  • Group Roll For rolling saves for large groups when the mage drops a fireball
  • Let Me Roll That For You I can prompt players for perception checks with this
  • M.E.S.S. (Moerill’s Enhancing Super Suite) I like the spell template auto-texture feature
  • Jinker’s Animated Art Pack Installed, but not enabled; these are the textures I use with M.E.S.S.
  • Trigger Happy Used for teleporting and traps
  • Minor QOL Damage Buttons and some automation with Trigger Happy’s traps
  • Dynamic Effects Needed for Minor QOL and Trigger Happy
  • Mount Up Allows things to carry other things
  • Permission Viewer Must have; I can tell at a glance who has access to a journal or actor with colored dots; I rainbow order my players; DM is red, then the rest are OYGBIV in alphabetical order
  • Pointer Allows me to ping the map and easily reveal my point only when I want to
  • Polyglot Useful when creatures are talking about the players
  • Token Mold Easy consistent setup of tokens when I drag them onto the map; it also gives hilarious nicknames; see fertile rat
  • Torch gives a clickable to turn lights on and off; I could use the macro, but I don’t
  • Turn Marker Gives players a visual indicator of who is going on the map and also marks starting position in case they change their minds about movement
  • VTTA D&D Beyond Integration Easily port over NPCs, PCs, and Journal entries
  • VTTA Iconizer When importing characters, it replaces the mystery man icon with cool icons from a database; I use the WoW ones
  • VTTA Tokenizer with some custom token frames in my asset library; used to make all my NPC tokens

Other Resources

I run pre-made adventures from D&D Beyond and require my players to create their characters there. I’ve got the legendary bundle and a Master Tier subscription, so I share all my resources with them.
I do some light graphic design for some portraits, tokens, tiles, and other random stuff using Google Slides. Set the background to transparent and download the slide as a PNG.
The map is made in Dungeondraft using an overlay of the original Dungeon of the Mad Mage maps. I’m working on level 2 currently and actually plan to split up the map so it doesn’t look quite so pixelated when I blow it up.

4 Likes

Do you also use MESS’s more streamlined rolling/targetting for D&D 5E (the one that creates custom cards in chat for each target? It’s nifty, but I can’t get it to roll Dice So Nice’s 3D dice.

I just end up disabling the streamlined rolls…

1 Like

Yeah, I don’t use a lot of the enhanced roll functionality within Foundry. All of my rolls come from beyond20. Very occasionally, I’ll do like a straight d20 or d100 using the dice tray mod. I do treasure rolls off of there for loot.

2 Likes

How do you get MESS’s

1 Like

All the addon modules I discussed are linked above.
The master list of ALL modules can be found on Foundry’s site. You can also find them in the module browser from within Foundry VTT.
https://foundryvtt.com/packages/modules
The M.E.S.S. module is on this page.
https://foundryvtt.com/packages/mess/
Click through the links on that page to find more info on the module, how to install, and how to use it.

1 Like

I’m sorry. Please ignore that last post. I started typing on my mobile and then finished on my pc. It’s supposed to ne my earlier question about the 3d dice and MESS.

1 Like

No worries! Happy modding!

1 Like

Who is it ??? :angry: (also, conditions tracking does require the installation of the module)

Nice list, feels good to catch up on all the useful modules out there, and there’s a lot I never heard of! I’m so out of touch now since I entered my code cave.

2 Likes