D&D Beyond Integration

The Forge now features integration with D&D Beyond, giving you the convenience of downloading the 5th edition content that you own, and converting it to a Foundry-compatible format! However, this service is still in early beta .

As such, during its beta testing phase, the feature will only be available to Patrons of KaKaRoTo. During the beta testing phase, major changes will be made to the service, bugs will be ironed out, and the implementation will be a work-in-progress. By restricting it to Patreons-only users, we ensure that only dedicated users willing to endure these changes will use the beta service.

What to expect from the integration at this stage

As mentioned above, the feature is still in early beta, so your expectations need to be adjusted with regards to what content can be imported and how. Apart from the bugs we could expect and lack of polish, there are also missing features.
For instance :

• Imports are always under the same module/world name, so it will overwrite your previous import without asking for confirmation
  • Backgrounds and Feats are not yet converted
  • Monster, or spell data may be inaccurate
  • Journal entries may refer to links which are invalid or do not cross-reference the appropriate journal/spell/monster/etc…
  • Due to Foundry’s lack of support for folders in compendium packs, converting to a module might lead to less than optimal results. We will improve this in the future with a custom interface.
  • Content referencing a different book will not be correctly copied (for example an NPC in Curse of Strahd would not have any spells since those spells come from the PHB/SRD and are not specific to Curse of Strahd. Likewise, monsters referred to in that adventure would not be imported unless they only exist within that adventure)
  • Adventure scenes have the name of the journal entry that refers to them, not the name of the actual location
  • Adventure scenes do not have any walling, lighting, token information.

Using the feature at this early stage will help in finding how to improve it and will be valuable to providing feedback early on.

How to enable early access to the beta feature

If you wish to give the feature a try, you will need to be a patron of KaKaRoTo. During the beta, rule book conversion will be accessible at the $5 tier, while adventure book conversion will be accessible at the $10 tier.

After you’ve subscribed, make sure to have your Forge account linked with Patreon.
You can link your patreon over at “My Account ” at the bottom, under account information:

After subscribing to the appropriate tier on Patreon, and connecting your Patreon account to your Forge account, the ability to import from D&D Beyond should be made available to you.

How to import content

You can import content you own from D&D Beyond by visiting the Bazaar and clicking on the D&D Beyond category.
The first step will be to import the content listing from D&D Beyond. This will use a small portion of your Data and Assets Library so it can save the listing and the cover images. After that you will need to install a Chrome extension which will allow the integration between The Forge and D&D Beyond.
Once done, you can then import book contents by clicking the Import button on the package, and waiting for the process to finish.

6 Likes

Hi Kakaroto–thanks for the work on this project.

How would one go about importing the Basic + PHB, DMG and MM books into the same world? I have downloaded Basic as a world, and downloaded the three other books as “modules” but I just see them in my Assets folder as files.

I think I’m missing a step somewhere.

Thanks again.

I did the same. I imported most of the sourcebooks I own to modules. They don’t show up in the module list in the world I’m wanting to import them into (Icewind Dale: Rime of the Frost Maiden). I expected to see them in the manage modules section to enable them.

Hi,
One thing missing in the conversion/install process during the beta is the warning that would tell you to restart your server for the new module to appear (like when you install a module from the Bazaar while you have a game online). I expect if you simply stop/start the server, the modules should appear.
Do note that I wouldn’t recommend importing Basic+PHB+DMG+MM into the same world. That’s a lot of content and it would require you and every other player to download all of that every time they join the game. Foundry’s performance will also degrade based on the amount of content (number of actors, journal entries, items, etc…) in a world, so it’s based to use an approach where you only import into your world, the content that you actually need.
I hope that helps!

1 Like

That works, thanks. Are you going to make some other modules dependencies for these eventually? Something like compendium folders, etc?

All working now. Thanks for the reply.

1 Like

No, but planning on having a custom interface for browsing the compendiums. Something a bit easier to use than compendiums+compendium folders :slight_smile:

1 Like