The Forge now features integration with D&D Beyond. With it, you gain convenient access to all 5th edition content that you own, and the ability to convert it into a Foundry-compatible format. However, this service is still in early beta .
Because it is in a beta testing phase, most features will only be available to Patrons of KaKaRoTo. During the beta testing phase, major changes will be made to the service, bugs will be ironed out, and the implementation will be a work-in-progress. By restricting it to Patreon-only users, we ensure that only dedicated users willing to endure these changes will use the beta service.
Non-Patreon users are currently able to import Frozen Sick, and the D&D 5e Basic Rules without subscribing on Patreon.
As mentioned above, the feature is still in early beta, so your expectations need to be adjusted with regards to what content can be imported and how. Apart from the bugs we could expect and lack of polish, there are also missing features.
For instance :
- Imports are always under the same module/world name, so it will overwrite your previous import without asking for confirmation
- Backgrounds and Feats are not yet converted
- Monster, or spell data may be inaccurate
- Journal entries may refer to links which are invalid or do not cross-reference the appropriate journal/spell/monster/etc…
- Due to Foundry’s lack of support for folders in compendium packs, converting to a module might lead to less than optimal results. We will improve this in the future with a custom interface.
- Content referencing a different book will not be correctly copied (for example an NPC in Curse of Strahd would not have any spells since those spells come from the PHB/SRD and are not specific to Curse of Strahd. Likewise, monsters referred to in that adventure would not be imported unless they only exist within that adventure)
- Adventure scenes have the name of the journal entry that refers to them, not the name of the actual location
- Adventure scenes do not have any walling, lighting, token information.
Using the feature at this early stage will help in finding how to improve it and will be valuable to providing feedback early on.
If you wish to give the feature a try, you will need to be a patron of KaKaRoTo. During the beta, rule book conversion will be accessible at the $5 tier, while adventure book conversion will be accessible at the $10 tier.
After subscribing to the appropriate tier on Patreon, and connecting your Patreon account to your Forge account, the ability to import from D&D Beyond should be made available to you.
You can import content you own from D&D Beyond by visiting the Bazaar and clicking on the D&D Beyond category.
The first step will be to import the content listing from D&D Beyond. This will use a small portion of your Data and Assets Library so it can save the listing and the cover images. After that you will need to install a Chrome extension which will allow the integration between The Forge and D&D Beyond.
Once done, you can then import book contents by clicking the Import button on the package, and waiting for the process to finish.
While we have received approval from D&D Beyond to help users import their content, there are certain limitations to handling the content.
We cannot store D&D Beyond purchases like other Bazaar content, as this would entail redistributing personal Beyond data to users- as a result, content you’ve imported from D&D Beyond will consume your asset and game storage.
Other limitations may apply as the integration evolves, as all integration must be developed with the assumption that the user is importing the data from D&D Beyond, rather than the software containing the data itself, and importing it to the user once its confirmed that they own the data on D&D Beyond.