While The Bazaar is the first (and currently only) dedicated marketplace to Foundry Virtual Tabletop content, it is not the only place in which you can purchase Foundry VTT content. Within the Foundry VTT setup menu or through Foundry VTT’s Premium Content listing, you can discover new and amazing content and art, including official content from systems such as Warhammer Fantasy RPG, or SWADE.
It should be noted that while The Forge sells some of the same content through The Bazaar, we are not Foundry Gaming, nor are we involved in the Foundry Gaming premium content process. For more details behind buying and activating Foundry Gaming premium content, we recommend reading their article on it here.
With all of this said, The Forge supports premium Foundry content. While it will count against the user’s data and asset library (as premium content is not purchased on The Bazaar), The Forge makes it relatively seamless to install these packages. We explain how to do so below.
(This method of installation will work for users with Game Manager enabled, and users without Game Manager enabled.
Installing a premium package is much like installing a normal package on The Bazaar! You can install your premium content by taking the following steps, after you have activated it on the Foundry VTT website:
- Navigate to The Bazaar.
- Navigate to and select Premium Modules, or Premium Worlds.
- Find the premium module or world that you have activated and wish to install. This can be done by scrolling through the packages on the Bazaar store page, or by using its search feature.
- Select the green “Install” button.
- And the module should install automatically! If you are installing a world, it will give you a standard prompt to fill out whenever a new world is created.
This method will only work for users without Game Manager enabled, since Game Manager replaces the default Foundry setup menu.
- Navigate to the setup menu for your Foundry table on The Forge.
- Navigate to the Worlds tab in the setup menu, and select the “Install Worlds” button. If you are installing a premium module, navigate to the Add-On Modules tab, and select “Install Module”.
- Select the “Premium Content” category.
- Install the premium world/module of your choice. If you are installing a premium world, please makes sure that you have already installed the game system necessary to run it.
Whatever method you choose to install your premium content, The Forge will take care of it. Content data will be automatically allocated to the user’s data library, and media content will be automatically allocated to the user’s asset library.
Some users have issues with premium content not installing/updating correctly when installed through The Bazaar.
This is because licensed premium content is managed by Foundry VTT, and not The Forge, or its Bazaar service. Since we do not own the content, we cannot modify how the content is installed.
This does mean that in some situations, premium content will not install correctly if the user…
- Has Game Manager enabled, and there is an active Foundry VTT world, or…
- There is an instance of Foundry VTT active with an admin key set up.
This is because of a security change introduced for Foundry VTT in 0.7.8. Because of this security change, premium packages cannot be installed while a world is launched, or is on the setup menu without its admin key enabled
There are two ways of fixing this:
- If you do not have Game Manager enabled, navigate to your setup menu within Foundry VTT, and enter your admin access key. From there, install your premium content directly through the Foundry VTT setup menu.
- Stop all instances of Foundry VTT, and close any windows/tabs that currently have it open. From there, attempt to install the premium module again. This method works for users with Game Manager enabled, and without Game Manager enabled.
Previously, The Forge could not automatically redistribute data from installed premium modules and worlds, since we are not allowed to interfere with their installation. Through a great deal of work, a workaround was created, and we can now automatically move data files and media assets to the appropriate storage on The Forge.
However, please remember that as stated earlier, storage for premium worlds/modules purchased from Foundry Gaming are not stored for free. We advise users make certain that they will have enough storage on their accounts for premium content that they wish to install.