So, Saturday night 8/29, I had an occurrence of problem that had occasionally popped up with one of my worlds: I would start the game world…within 30 seconds, whether players were joining or not, I would get a “Lost connection” alert followed by a “Connection re-established” alert. But no interface buttons would respond but Return to Forge - and attempts to refresh would get to a “No active game” page on the Foundry setup page.
I reached out to the Discord channel, and they suggested disabling all modules in the Edit World page - which worked, and I was able, once in, to re-enable all mods. This remained stable for the rest of the session with my players.
However, I was irritated because I have another world for a game I run on alternate Sundays, which has all the same mods installed and enabled. Different maps, players, and characters - but many of the same journal entries, and access to all the same shared compendiums.
After Saturday night’s session, I proceeded to test the two worlds. The Sunday world never had a problem logging in. The Saturday world continued to have the login disconnect every time, UNLESS I disabled all mods in Edit World, and re-enabled them in session. The Saturday world would then remain stable for the remainder of that session.
So, I proceeded to extract all the content from the Saturday world into Json exports. Then Created a new world with the same settings. I then proceeded to import all the individual data into the new world, and enabled all the modules that I use, and made sure their settings matched up what I used before.
Lo and behold, the new Saturday game world loads more quickly, and never has the server disconnect error. I tested logging in and out after each block of content (journals, actors, items, scenes, etc), after each swath of module settings, and after the final swing of permission edits for player visibility of content. Not a problem once.
So, while the server disconnect, ID’d as a server memory issue, was clearly having some interaction with the modules (resetting them avoided the crash in the old world file), it seems that it may not be wholly a module issue, but perhaps some additional setting stored or corrupted in the overall world.
If you are having this problem, and can’t get around it, you may wish to try exporting your data, and reconstructing your world file. My original Saturday game’s world was made via a local Foundry install, and then uploaded when I got the Forge hosting account. Perhaps something happened in the original creation from back in the .5 versions of the program, or something did not upload correctly - those are pure conjecture, but a clean world built on forge with the discrete jsons re-imported seems to have solved my problem.