The User Manager

The User Manager

The User Manager feature is The Forge’s automatic user management system. In simpler terms, it means that when a player joins a game, they’ll automatically have a user created for them within Foundry VTT, and they can skip the Foundry VTT login screen just by being logged into The Forge.

The User Manager also allows the Forge account owner to manage individual player roles outside of the game, as well as kick them, if required.

How to enable/disable/use User Manager

Please note that to use User Manager, you must be at the Story Teller level or higher, and enable the Game Manager feature.

To enable/disable User Manager, take the following steps:

1. Login to your Forge account, if you have not already done so.
  2. Navigate to The Forge.
  3. Select a world in which you want to enable/disable User Manager.
  4. In the top right corner under “Game Tools”, select “Configure Players”
  5. Toggle Automatic User Management to “on”, which will display the toggle as blue.
  6. Confirm your choice to enable/disable User Manager.

Once User Manager is assigned and players have been automatically assigned, you can customize their permission level in Foundry VTT (player, trusted, assistant GM, and GM), by selecting the dice icon next to their names in the user management menu.

Connecting Existing Users

To map your invited players to existing users within the game, select the Custom User Assignment button. It will open a dialog listing the game’s users, and Forge users who have joined the game. Here, you can assign the players to their respective user by first pressing the Forge player you want to assign, then the Foundry user, as shown below.

Assign

Now that the User manager is enabled and you have assigned your users their players, you can easily manage their permissions from the game’s Configure players menu.

Managing the player’s roles corresponds to the world’s permissions. You can quickly promote, or demote players to the wanted ranks.

Troubleshooting

If you encounter an issue logging into your game with User Manager enabled, the User Manager may not be able to log you into your world. To fix this, follow the steps below.

• Please Stop and Start your server from Game Configuration.

• If this does not resolve the issue, please disable and re-enable Advanced User Management from the Configure Players button under Game Tools on the Game Configuration page.

If you encounter any other issues, or the above steps do not resolve the issue for you, please let us know in the #forge-support channel on our Discord server, so that we can help resolve the problem.

We hope this helps you get started with your new Story Teller/World Builder features. :smiley:

If you have any questions, feel free to comment below.

1 Like

How can i join as a new temporary player?

In game, choose “Join Game as”
This will give you an option to change your user to a temporary user.

Yes, I tried that, but when I log in I have my full GM rights again.

I am not quite sure what you mean.

It should give you Player permissions, till you restart the server. Could you screenshot the issue you are running into? And show what kind of permissions you have that you shouldn’t have.

If you want to be logged in as a GM and a player at the same time, you can try to open a new tab and re-log with that tab.

Ok after a second restart of the server it works. :sweat_smile:

Screen shots would be helpful.

1 Like

Hello,

How do I delete unassigned roles?

Hi there @m3nacing_squash :wave:

The roles associated with the User Manager reflect the roles used by Foundry, and cannot be deleted even if no players are associated with them.

Sorry I meant these
@phi

Ah, for those you would need to disable the User Manager and log in to the Foundry world itself, then delete them from in there. We have not yet added the feature to delete the unassigned Foundry users from the Forge User Manager

Hope that helps!

Gotcha, I will have to wait until you add it then. I just got all my people to rejoin the campaign and probably don’t need to do it again to them lol!

Oh! They will remain in your game if you temporarily disable, and then re-enable User Manager, you won’t need to re-invite them :slight_smile:

But at the same time, having the unused Foundry users present won’t hurt anything either! So if you are comfortable with that, then that is perfectly fine too :+1: