Map Modules Cutting into my data Quota

I’m using the Forge due to my ports not working for self hosing. To be honest, I’m trying to resolve that issue, but in the mean time Forge is providing a very helpful service.

There’s just one problem. When I upload pre configured maps from Cze and Peku as modules, They EAT up my data quota. Is there a way for me to transfer them into my assets folder or something? It’s driving me mad. I enjoy Forge so far but the idea of having to spend money to use a VTT i bought and then spend more money on space to use maps i also bought breaks me a bit. Thanks in advance for any help!

Hi,
I assume you installed those packs using the manifest URL, which would explain why they use your data storage instead of assets. If you open the manifest url, you should see a “download” line, and if you download the zip file and use the Import Wizard, it will be automatically uploaded to the assets library and optimized to use it.
You can see the instructions for premium content which would be similar for your situation : Installing/updating Licensed Premium modules - Docs - The Forge
Also note two things :
1 - we are currently close to releasing an update which would do the optimization of manifest-installed content automatically.
2 - there will always be a bit of Data used by the modules, though it would be a lot less than what it currently uses, but the compendium packs do need to be copied/installed on your data folder. It would generally be a few KBs or a few MBs instead of hunderds of MBs.

I hope that helps

1 Like

This certainly helps, Thank you.

Although, It’s an absolute pain to manually install all of these maps and modules I want to install. I understand the value the Forge provides for some, but between the costs for data, the caps, and inability to quickly install things, the inability to bulk import when I have to manually do things just to avoid spending more money. It’s to much after having spent 50 dollars on the base program. I just need to open my ports and talk to my ISP, my internet connection is amazing so hosting by my self is going to be the way to go.

As I said, we’re about to make that process easier by having the splitting of media files and optimization of the packages done for content installed via manifest too.
I’m not sure what you mean by “the inability to bulk import”. If you use the Import Wizard, you can just point it to your local install’s Data folder, and it would import everything at once.
The Forge obviously provides a lot more value in its unique features and improvements than a self hosted environment, even if you manage to get your ports opened with your ISP, and you have an amazing connection, I don’t think it’s a fair comparison. That being said, I can understand if what we provide is not something that you find particularly interest to your specific use case.
If you need help with anything else, don’t hesitate to ask.
Enjoy!