How can I redirect my domain to The Forge? Can I point my DNS record to a Forge game?

Domains, Subdomains, and The Forge

On The Forge, each game/server is a subdomain of The Forge. That is to say, each game is encompassed by The Forge’s domain name.

We allow each user to set a custom subdomain for their game/server. If they are at the Game Master tier or have our Game Manager feature disabled, a user can set a single subdomain URL for their entire hosted Foundry VTT server. If a user has Game Manager enabled (a feature available at our Story Teller and higher tiers), they have a subdomain for each game.

In layman’s terms, its basically a unique URL you set for your Foundry VTT games/server. This lets you easily link to the game, as well as link your game to others.

Can I point my DNS to my Forge subdomain?

For both infrastructural and security reasons, we cannot support DNS A or CNAME records on our service. If you wish to link your players to The Forge via a custom domain of your own, we recommend a simple redirect (HTTP 301 response). Users can also set up a URI record directly, to redirect from a custom domain toward their game’s subdomain.

1 Like

Could it be possible to get an own Domain as a new price tier? All bells and whistles of using Forge but with a fully custom Url without the ugly Forge Infront?

1 Like

Hey there :slight_smile:

Because a lot of config is done on the domain level, Forge doesn’t support fully custom URLs.

A 301 redirect as suggested in the article above might be what you’re looking for, if you’d like a more custom URL to share.

You could also have a look at using the Forge client via the Forge: More Awesomeness module, which wouldn’t display the URL during play.

The 301 redirect does not work because of to many redirects. To what url should the redirect go to work?

Your own custom URL should return a 301 response which redirects to the Forge’s URL where your game is normally hosted at