Foundry v11, D&D 4e, and Forge

I’ve been trying to update to Foundry v11 for my D&D 4e game, as the newest version of that system comes with some huge QoL changes that I’d really like.

Unfortunately, when I get Foundry and all my systems and modules updated, I can load into my 4e game, but the instant I try loading any of my scenes, it gets stuck at about 60% loaded. This is true whether I’m loading with or without modules enabled, loading a scene I imported from v10 or a brand new scene with nothing in it, and even if I create a brand new 4e world on v11 and make a scene there. Never gets past 60%.

My PF2e game works fine on v11, and I haven’t seen anyone on the 4e Discord encountering this glitch, so I think it must only be a problem once Forge gets involved. If there’s a fix or workaround I’d love to be able to use v11!

Hey there, welcome! :wave:

It sounds like something is preventing the world migration from succeeding, and I do have a couple of suggestions for things you could try:

A) Open your dev tools console (F12), refresh, and check for errors. It’s possible that Foundry will tell us in the browser if an error is happening with the system, modules, or world data.
B) View your Foundry server logs at The Forge under Table Tools on the top left. It’s possible that a server side error will be logged out there, and every bit of info helps.

If you find any errors with A or B, post a screenshot here and we might be able to help out!

C) Test it out on your local Foundry v11. You can export your world from Forge following instructions here and test to see if you encounter the issue locally. If you do, then it might be an issue with the world data or the system.

D) If you’re stuck in troubleshooting, you’re welcome to join our Discord and create a ticket in the #ticket-support channel pointing back to this post and also posting an invite to your game on Forge. Maybe one of us can hop in with you to help troubleshoot :slight_smile:

I checked this on my local Foundry real quick (not Forge) and ran into the same issue

Foundry Virtual Tabletop: Version 11 Stable, 11.302
Game System: dnd4e, 0.4.6
Active Modules: 1
Performance Mode: 2

Client: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0
GPU: ANGLE (NVIDIA, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Direct3D11 vs_5_0 ps_5_0)
Max Texture Size: 16384

No viewed scene

Actors: 0 | Items: 0 | Journal Entries: 0 | Rollable Tables: 0 |
Playlists: 0 | Compendium Packs: 6 | Chat Messages: 2

That means it’s likely to be a system error and the folks over on the 4e Discord or GitHub - EndlesNights/dnd4eBeta: An implementation of the dnd4e game system for Foundry Virtual Tabletop (http://foundryvtt.com). might want to hear about it :slight_smile:

This is likely the issue SVG images must include explicit width and height attributes to be rendered on the game canvas. Can this be improved? · Issue #9052 · foundryvtt/foundryvtt · GitHub
Maybe the new version replaces a system SVG, and they need to confirm it adds the required dimension properties.

I’ve made a ticket to report it on the dnd4e Github repo Foundry v11 : dnd4e 0.4.6 : System SVG does not have width and height defined · Issue #288 · EndlesNights/dnd4eBeta · GitHub

Browsers handle the SVG issue differently. Chrome handles it but Firefox does not. This is upstream of Foundry, and the best way to ensure that it works is to make sure that the SVG itself correctly specifies dimensions as required by Foundry so as to not rely on the browser patching it.

This might be why noone else on the 4e Discord had run into it yet, because Chrome is a bit more common.

sorry for not responding, been slammed at work all day! i actually heard back from the 4e dev over on the 4e discord and they said they pushed a hotfix for my issue. looks like it probably was the SVG issue. thanks for submitting the issue on github as well!