Forge server with players from multiple countries

Hiya,

Just wondering if there is anything special I could do when running my forge server to improve the way it works with players from multiple countries if one of them is having a bandwidth issue? (other than the obvious stuff like making maps simpler, limiting modules, etc)

Bit of background - I noticed one of may players was struggling with their internet last session. They are in the UK. I’m in New Zealand, my other player is in the USA, and we were fine. Usually they have no issue, and they were having voice comms issues as well so I’m pretty sure their internet provider was just having a hiccup.

But, I was wondering if there was a way to use a UK server to host the game, that way favoring the person with the worst connection? I saw that my server is https://au.forge-vtt.com/ and have seen in the past as.forge-vtt (possibly when I was in Europe?). Can I run it from uk.forge-vtt or will it always default to my location. Or does this not make any sense at all?

Anyway, hope you are doing well. Forge is great, super happy with it, you’re doing a great job!
Cheers, Tony

1 Like

If they were having issues with voice too (assuming that was via a separate app) there’s probably not much you can do over all.

The only thing I can think of to suggest is have them log in early, and you can pre-share assets in Foundry out to them. So they can download maps and such before the game, and that way it’s all there when they are ready to be shown.

2 Likes

Sorry for missing your question (and welcome and thanks @tymanthius for answering, bumping it up).
The region your server is running on is set from your account page: The Forge
The Europe servers are in a datacenter in Frankfurt, so it might have helped your player, but if they were having disconnects and a generally bad connection, then it could cause desync issues for them unfortunately.

1 Like