A player in my campagin cannot see the maps

Hello!

I have been playing with a player who previously has used Foundry and the Forge just fine. Recently however, they cannot see the screens. They can see others webcam feeds, the dice rolls, chat, etc., etc. The maps just do not load in at all. Is there any possible solutions? They have switched browsers to see if Chrome was the issue. I have tried disabling some of my modules, however, there is nothing that seems to work.

Thank you for any help.

Have them check the “max texture size” on https://webglreport.com and compare that to the size of the image (not the size of the scene, but the image itself, in pixels). A black screen is usually indicative of a map being too large for an old GPU to load.
There might be other things at cause, and generally, a screenshot of the dev console could help pinpoint the cause, so ask them to press F12 to open the dev console in chrome, make sure the “Console” tab is selected, and screenshot that if there are any errors that appear.
I hope that helps.

I have a player that uses a tablet with low rez, I have to set my maps to 72dpi or she can’t see them, just gets the black screen and the other tokens.

1 Like

WebGL Report As mentioned above:

A tablet like that is likely to have a crappily-low Max Texture size, and that’s the issue. The map image (as a texture on FoundryVTT) is simply too big for that tablet to handle, so it doesn’t display it.

When I set it to 72dpi she views them just fine.and they still look fine for everyone else.

What are you referring to for 72dpi then? The FoundryVTT setting? Actually changing the image?

I load the image back into Gimp and export it at 72dpi, that solves the problem

Right, because you’ve now changed the texture resolution down a LARGE amount. Check the dimensions of the image in the original DPI vs. the 72 dpi, they will be much different.

oh yeah they are, but her system can view that large of a file, and its hard to tell someone to upgrade if they wanna play, easier to adjust the map

I think I misunderstood that you were asking for help, but I think we incidentally had a helpful conversation for others :smiley:

1 Like

Yeah, Now if only I could find someone to answer the question about resource usage. :slight_smile:

What question is that?

One of my players is running a paladin that has laying on of hands, it has the ability to do 5 to 25 points of hit point healing, but I can’t find a way to set it up so that it prompts him with how much of his pool he wants to use, I’m thinking kind of like a scalable spell where it uses a certain amount of spell slots depending on what level it’s cast at, but I can’t figure out a way to do that on this paladins laying on of hands ability. In the details tab or the effects tab one of them it gives me the option of what resource to use but it only gives a static number of resource points to use ie12510 whatever it doesn’t allow at least that I can find a way to prompt him for how much. Does that make sense?

That’s a better question for the FoundryVTT Discord in the #dnd5e game system channel, you might even be able to get Atropos and/or Kim Mantas to answer you in there