How to enable Safe Configuration

What is Safe Configuration in Foundry VTT?

“Safe Configuration” is a feature in Foundry Virtual Tabletop, meant to help troubleshoot malfunctioning worlds. It does the following:

• Disables all active modules in a world.
  • Immediately stops any audio that is playing.
  • And deactivates any active scene.

In effect, enabling safe configuration is a way of restoring the ability to work within a game world in Foundry VTT, where a user would be otherwise stuck. It’s also a good way of determining what is causing issues within a game world- if enabling safe configuration fixes an issue or issues plaguing a game, there is a good chance that module issues are causing the issue(s) in question.

We explain how to enable safe configuration in a world below.

Enabling safe configruation through the Foundry VTT setup menu

To enable safe configuration through the Foundry VTT setup menu, take the following steps:

1. Navigate to your Foundry VTT setup menu.
  2. Make sure you are on the “Game Worlds” tab.
  3. Find the world you wish to activate safe configuration for, and select “Edit World”. A popup menu will appear.
  4. Find the option stating “Launch in Safe Configuration”. Select the check mark box to the right of this option, to enable launching in safe configuration.
  5. Before leaving this menu, select the “Update World” button at the bottom. The world will not launch in a safe configuration without these changes being saved.

After taking these steps, you can now launch your world. The world will now launch with all modules disabled, scenes deactivated, and music stopped.

Enabling safe configuration through The Forge’s Game Manager

To enable safe configuration for a world in The Forge’s Game Manager, take the following steps:

1. Navigate to your My Foundry page on The Forge.
  2. Select the world you wish to enable safe configuration for, via the world tabs.
  3. On the top right of the page, select the blue “Launch in Safe Configuration” button. The world does not need to be offline for this to be applied.

After doing so, you can now connect into the world, and it will have the safe configuration applied.

1 Like

The ability to do this from Forge Game Manager does not seem to exist anymore. I do not see this option anywhere on the My foundry page.

I can see that you’re a Game Master subscriber, not Story Teller or World Builder, which means you don’t have access to the Game Manager feature.
The “Launch in Safe Configuration” is specific to a world, you can’t activate it on your entire Foundry server. You’d need to do it from within the Foundry setup page instead, as explained here :