Safe Mode is a feature in Foundry Virtual Tabletop, meant to help troubleshoot malfunctioning worlds. It does the following:
- Disables all active modules in a world.
- Immediately stops any audio that is playing.
- And deactivates any active scene.
In effect, Safe Mode is a way of restoring the ability to work within a game world in Foundry VTT, where a user would be otherwise stuck. It’s also a good way of determining what is causing issues within a game world- if enabling Safe Mode fixes an issue or issues plaguing a game, there is a good chance that module issues are causing the issue(s) in question.
We explain how to enable Safe Mode below.
To enable Safe Mode through the Foundry VTT setup menu, take the following steps:
- Navigate to your Foundry VTT setup menu.
- Make sure you are on the “Game Worlds” tab.
- Find the world you wish to activate Safe Mode for, and select “Edit World”. A popup menu will appear.
- Find the option stating “Launch in Safe Configuration”. Select the check mark box to the right of this option, to enable launching in Safe Mode.
- Before leaving this menu, select the “Update World” button at the bottom. The world will not launch in Safe Mode without these changes being saved.
After taking these steps, you can now launch your world. The world will launch in Safe Mode.
To enable Safe Mode through The Forge’s Game Manager, take the following steps:
- Navigate to your My Foundry page on The Forge.
- Select the world you wish to enable Safe Mode on, via the world tabs.
- On the top right of the page, select the blue “Launch in Safe Mode” button. The world does not need to be offline for this to be applied.
After doing so, you can now connect into the world, and it will be in Safe Mode.